Thursday 10 October 2013

Ren Clearcalm 3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser - Review


I have a complicated relationship with REN. They were one of the first brands I turned to when I started cleaning up my routine; the products were all packaged in sophisticated airless pumps and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. I really loved most everything I tried from the brand, but as I learned more and more about green beauty, I realized REN uses many ingredients that are big no-no's (mainly phenoxyethanol, unidentified "parfum", and sodium hydroxymethylglycinate). I was torn. I loved these products, but only one met my ever increasing standards for purity. I finished, but never repurchased every product I had from REN with the exception of the Claryfing Clay Cleanser.

The INCI for this cleanser reads beautifully: chamomile water and oil, kaolin clay, sesame oil, willow bark extract (the list goes on and on). This is my third bottle and it's one of my skincare wardrobe staples for when my acne decides to flare up (fortunately these flareups have become quite few and far between); it cleanses the skin completely while maintaining the delicate lipid balance, exfoliating away minor imperfections, and soothing irritation.

This smooth clay has a gorgeous, whipped cream like texture that feels magical when massaged in to the skin. It rinses off like a dream and leaves skin visibly softer and smoother. The scent is absolutely delicious and you get a whopping 150 ml in some of the best packaging on the market. The only problem is, as I alluded, REN on the whole don't use the absolute best ingredients. I justify my repeated purchase of this product by telling myself that I'm using my money to tell REN that this is the kind of product I want them to continue to formulate. Regardless of ingredient politics, I can't deny what this stuff does for my complexion and my eventual repurchase is an absolute no-brainer.

INCI: Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Water, Kaolin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Glucoside, Glycerin, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Oryzanol, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Leptospermum Scoparium Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Oil, Linalool, Limonene, Zinc Gluconate, Bisabolol, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Dehydroacetic Acid, Crataegus Oxyacantha Stem Extract, Glucose, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid, Tocopherol.

Have you tried anything from REN? Are there any not-totally-clean brands that you can't help but love?

No comments:

Post a Comment